Thursday, July 29, 2010

Made in America

I'll be publishing this on both blogs, as it's something I feel pretty strongly about.

This is a Sponsored Post written by me on behalf of Ramblers Way. All opinions are 100% mine.

I've mentioned before that I do technically live in a town full of history. From the Kent State Shootings
down to the historic landmark that was my neighbors home, growing up.

It's odd, that I got the chance to talk about this today, because I was thinking about homes today, how they just "don't build em like they used to." Since I was a child, I've  not been a fan of what I call "cookie cutter homes" the subdivisions where quite literally, I'd be worried to live for fear of coming home after a drink out with friends & not being able to distinguish which house is mine.

I've wanted an old home since I began planning my "dream home check list" and sadly, all my "must have" items aren't typical on construction anymore.

I think that it goes beyond homes, to the fact that construction & buildings just are not as unique or architecturally important to many as they once were. Buildings that are "art" are so expensive no one can even afford to walk near them, much less buy them for their business & historic buildings are knocked down to make way for more cookie cutter developments, from homes to gas stations ever day.

My own town recently bulldozed a building I walked by daily for much of my teenage life. The "1920" engraving in the stone, with the presidents name was crumbled before our very eyes to make way for a ... Sheetz!
Nevermind that we already got a Sheetz in town, approximately 10 blocks away several years ago.

Sure, the building looked less than sound but it was only one of the several memorable buildings in the area to be knocked down in the blink of an eye, with out consideration. This made me sad.

Our downtown still has roads that are old red brick ( and quite bumpy!) and I just am not sure they would have the same charm with freshly paved roads. Call me sentimental, but I think that the charm, the quaintness of things like this are what make a town rich with history. I find it sad that by the time my children are old enough to understand & make memories of the town I grew up in, most of what I remember as being so pretty, or special, or a landmark I secretly wished I could live in, might be gone!

Every small town in America has seen their main street shops suffer from the effects of urban sprawl. Quaint mom &a pop shops and department stores used to anchor the business districts of downtown areas, yet sadly over the past few decades businesses left the downtown's and headed to the strip malls of the suburbs. Companies are outsourcing for cheaper labor leaving once robust factories to close down. Entire communities have suffered, leaving the fabric of America shattered.

Ramblers Way Farm is changing the way American business is done. The Company sources, grows, and produces their fine woolen apparel using 100% domestic resources. They have brought manufacturing facilities into distressed small towns and are helping to revitalize the communities.

The Ramblers Way Corporate Office is a fully refurbished building that was originally built in 1792 and is located in downtown Kennebunk, Maine. The building has been restored to its original condition, while being modernized to meet today's environmental standards. They have even achieved the coveted Gold Lead Certification level!

I personally, love that Ramblers Way believes in their products being Made in America (and how beautiful their clothing is, I NEED that gorgeous camisole!!) but that they also go above & beyond just caring about their own company, they have a passion for preservation that extends beyond just their own benefit.

The coffee shop I remember sitting in as a teen, where the mama with a baby slung to her chest in a sling nagged me "Are you SURE I cant fix you something to eat?" and who didn't close up until the last chess natch between friends was over is now a Starbucks ( which I boycot, for the record)

If more companies don't take notice of the initiative that Ramblers Way is setting & follow in their example, I have worried that the memories I have of my town will be something that is mystical to my children, that they will no that places to experience & sights to see that leave them with their own memories.

Do you have any experiences with your own town that are similar, or do you hopefully, have encoraging stories like Ramblers Way does?

I'd love to hear them!

Visit my sponsor: Made in America

Bookmark and Share

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me something nice & pretty & full of compliments.
It makes me feel good about myself.