Thursday, March 4, 2010

My favorite Eco friendly,Green, Home made cleaning recipe.

The Naturally Clean Home
One of my favorite, make at home, eco friendly, green, safe & budget friendly recipes is a simple mold deterrent.

Much like you buy to spray on your shower walls, or curtains after you hop out. It either keeps a clean shower clean, or works to remove & prevent mold & mildew.

Even if you don't like patchouli, this is an earthy scent that I haven't met anyone, who hasn't fallen in love with it. 

It's worth a try! I've been using it for about 3 years now. Mike even admits "sometimes, I just spray it when I'm in there, because I like how it smells."

Since its essential oils & it's supposed to rest on your grimy shower, the scent last forever. 
We has guests this summer who could not stop raving about how great the entire hallway smelled.+

So, here it is.

Mold Deterrent

1 1/4 Cups white vinegar
3/4 cup water
4 drops cinnamon essential oil
6 drops patchouli essential oil
2 teaspoons tea tree oil

I keep mine in a spray bottle in the bathroom. Give it a shake, to mix up the oils & spray. If your pump gets clogged, due to the oil, rinse with warm water until the pump clears.

If you try this, let me know. I want to see if anyone who tries it, doesn't like it!

I got the recipe, from one of my favorite books, The Naturally Clean Home: 100 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Non-Toxic Cleansers . It's one of my favorite books, I refer to it often.

Which also has a newer edition out, which I really want to check out.

EDIT TO ADD- You can buy essential oils, online relatively cheap.Typically, if you go to a local health food store, you can buy them there, however they tend to be more costly.
I use Vitacost.com 
If you type in the oil,in a search it will come up. I like Aura Cacia brands.

Please remember, use care when handling essential oils. Some people may experience skin reactions. I am not responsible for any medical advise or expertise. This is a recipe I like & use & shared & that is as far as my extent goes.
Share/Bookmark


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. We've got a major mold war going on in our shower right now. I'll try just about anything to get rid of it...nothing with chemicals has worked well so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where do I get essential oils at?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me something nice & pretty & full of compliments.
It makes me feel good about myself.