Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cuisinart Rice Plus Multi-Cooker with Fuzzy Logic Technology



I used to be a white rice kind of girl. When we went out for sushi & people seated around the table got their food cooked in front of them, I had to special order steamed rice ( which people always forget.) and not watch while they cooked & ate the rice. (I DON'T do eggs)
I still gag at the thought & sight of egg & veggie crap in my rice, but I have branched out past white rice.

However, while my palate has expanded & my ability to cook rice fully, I still find myself annoyed at juggling when I forget the grain blend I want takes 50 minutes. Sometimes I'm not exactly sure if my heat is right, or I run out of water, or the timing is off from my meal because the rice wasn't done. It seems when I try to make rice or other grain blends, my timing is always my error.



Now, I can preset & forget and still have perfect rice & grains with Cuisinart's new Rice Plus Multi Cooker with Fuzzy Logic technology.. 

Cuisinart Rice Plus™ Multi-Cooker with Fuzzy Logic Technology, everyday retail price: $149
The Multi-Cooker features pre-programmed menu options, a 24-hour programmable finish time and an automatic “Keep Warm” setting that activates after cooking is complete.  Cuisinart’s new kitchen appliance is also equipped with an easy-to-read control panel and backlit blue LCD display; pre-programmed menu options that include White Rice, Sushi Rice, Brown Rice and Risotto (which is most often made with Arborio Rice); and additional options for Soup, Oatmeal, Slow Cooking, and Steaming. In addition, the unit has Quick Cooking and Reheat functions, making it one of the most versatile pieces of kitchen equipment a home cook can possess.


I've made plain jasmine rice & a regular long grain organic brown so far but I'm ready to branch out, yet again.
For my breakfast tomorrow I am going to try my own recipe of cinnamon scented whole grains & for dinner this weekend, I want to try out chef Hubert Kellers recipe , which was made just for this amazing fuzzy logic rice cooker.


Brazilian Chicken and Shrimp Soup
A medley of aromatic spices, chicken and shrimp gives this hearty, Brazilian-inspired soup a burst of flavor; great as a one-pot meal.   
Serves 8
5  chicken thighs, skinned
3   tablespoons fresh lime juice
2  garlic cloves, minced 
1  tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small)
1 cup diced green bell pepper (about 1 medium)
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes 
1/3 cup finely chopped toasted peanuts
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2  bay leaves
1-1/4  teaspoons salt                               
3/4   teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3  cups chicken broth
1-1/2  cups coconut milk
8   ounces raw shrimp (medium size), peeled and de-veined   
10   ounces frozen peas                     
2  tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
4  cups cooked jasmine or basmati rice for serving
                                                                             
  1. Prepare rice using the long-grain directions on the cooking chart for Cuisinart’s Rice Plus™ Multi-Cooker. Rice can also be prepared the day before.
  2. Place the chicken in a medium mixing bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the lime juice and rub chicken with minced garlic.  Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
  3. In the cooking pot of the Cuisinart Rice Plus™ Multi-Cooker, add the olive oil. Set to Quick Cook and press start. Once the olive oil is hot, after about 3 minutes, add the onions and peppers and sauté for about 4 minutes until soft and fragrant.
  4. Stir in the canned tomatoes including juice, peanuts, jalapeno, bay leaves, salt, pepper, broth, and coconut milk.  (Note: be sure to stir the coconut milk prior to pouring from can).  Add the chicken and marinade and stir until well combined.  Turn the unit off. Close the lid and select the Soup function and set the timer for 5 hours.
  5. 15 minutes before the timer is done, rinse the shrimp well and pat dry. Place in a mixing bowl with the remaining lime juice and a pinch each of the salt and pepper.  Refrigerate for 5 to 8 minutes; no longer or the acid of the juice will begin to cook the shrimp.
  6. Once there are 5 minutes remaining on the timer, open the lid and add the frozen peas and the shrimp, with the juices, and close again to finish cooking.
  7. Once the timer tone sounds, open the lid. Discard the bay leaves. Take out the whole chicken pieces and place on a cutting board.  Remove the meat from the bone, cut into bite size pieces, and return to the pot.  Stir in the cilantro to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
  8. To serve, place some warm cooked rice (approximately 1/3 to 1/2 cup depending on portion size) in the bottom of each soup bowl and ladle the soup on top.   If desired, sprinkle with additional chopped cilantro and/or chopped peanuts.
This recipe for Brazilian Chicken and Shrimp Soup was developed specifically by Chef Keller using the Rice Plus™ Multi-Cooker.  The inspiration for this dish came from the two years in which Chef Keller worked in Brazil with Master Chef Roger Verge at Cuisine du Soleil.  There, he began to integrate some of the bright, bold flavors of Brazilian cooking that make this soup so unique and flavorful: combining chicken and jumbo shrimp, while using coconut milk and lime juice to deepen and enliven the stock base, and ultimately, adding a final flourish of cilantro.  

Additional Soup Pointers from Chef Keller:
  • Soup is a great dish to serve at a cocktail party or get-together; pass it around in espresso cups or small Asian bowls, and for more informal gatherings, serve it in a coffee mug
  • When serving soup, think about adding a few decorative garnishes that add color and texture to the finished product.  Since garnishes should always reflect or enhance the flavors in the main dish, look at the ingredient list to see if there is something already in the soup that can be chopped and sprinkled on top, such as:
  • Peppers
  • Peanuts
  • Scallions
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Herbs
  • Croutons
If I'm brave enough to attempt this recipe, you can bet on pictures. For every under cooker, or over cooker of rice out there,

 Get one!

Cuisinart Rice Plus Multi-Cooker with Fuzzy Logic Technology




Share/Bookmark
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. hmmm...I usually just use boil in bag rice, but I guess this has given me a new idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my rice cooker. It's really old and I've been thinking about getting a new one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great rice cooker. Making rice on the stove is very difficult. Only half of the time does it come out right for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rice cookers. Seriously because making rice on the stove top is a nightmare! I'll look into this product ASAP!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not everyone can make rice, so this is a rice-saver. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm will have to look into this. I am a boil in the bag kind of girl. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW that looks yummy. I don't have rice cooker but after reading this I think I may have to get one.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me something nice & pretty & full of compliments.
It makes me feel good about myself.